Give the Gift of Hearing this Mothers’ Day
Hearing News • March 26, 2019
“Your mum doesn’t have to be elderly to benefit from a hearing health check. According to AgeUK around 40% of people over 50 have some form of hearing loss.”
Steven McCluskey, Audiologist
Many gifts of flowers and perfume will already have been purchased and restaurants booked in preparation for Mothers’ Day. However, is it possible that there’s an even better gift you could give your mother this year? Would she benefit from having her hearing checked by us?
Your mum doesn’t have to be elderly to benefit from a hearing health check. According to AgeUK around 40% of people over 50 have some form of hearing loss.
And of course don’t forget about the men in your life too! They are even more likely to experience hearing loss than women so don’t wait until Fathers’ Day to seek help for them too.
It might be difficult to broach the subject of hearing loss with a loved one, but they’ll thank you in the end. You could:
• ask them to think about their hearing and any changes they’ve noticed
• gently point out how many times you’re having to fill in the gaps of what they’re missing
• explain how hearing loss affects relationships and that the ‘hearing’ member of the relationship can find it stressful and tiring
• point out some examples of what they’re not hearing when you’re together, e.g., parts of stories their children/grandchildren are telling, lines they miss from television or radio programmes
• allow them to talk about any concerns they have about possibly needing a hearing aid
• explain that if they do need a hearing aid the benefits will far outweigh any negatives, since people usually report feeling more engaged and in control of their lives afterwards
• offer to go with them to have their hearing checked
• Don’t get frustrated – be patient!
Hearing loss is often gradual so changes are not noticed straight away, which is why it is important to get checked out by professionals like us. Left untreated hearing loss can seriously affect the quality of a person’s life so the sooner it is treated the better.
Get in contact with us at Apex Hearing and we will arrange an appointment with one of our first-class hearing care specialists. Remember people who have sought treatment for hearing loss report thinking more clearly, feeling happier and more energetic, and being more engaged with their loved ones and families.
So contact us today to arrange a complimentary hearing health check.